The University of Kansas Cancer Center is seeking a candidate who will supervise all laboratory activities to support biobanking for the KU Medical Center under the direction of the director and assistant director of the BRCF. The successful applicant will have leadership skills and previous experience in collecting and processing human biospecimens, e.g., DNA, blood, urine, saliva, and tissue samples. He/she will have knowledge of clinical annotation, possess or develop the ability to perform digital imaging and analysis and oversee the histology laboratory.
- Supervise laboratory staff of the BRCF including 1) Oversight and performance of specimen processing and banking and specimen distribution; 2) developing, maintaining and reviewing standard operating protocols (SOPs); and 3) developing and maintaining daily Quality control activities and long-term Quality Assurance plans.
- Collect and process human biospecimens, e.g., DNA, blood, urine, saliva, and tissue samples and knowledge of clinical annotation.
- Provide daily oversight of the histology laboratory including workflow and quality control measures.
- Perform of digital slide imaging and analysis.
- Work with scientists to review sample requests and oversee BRCF laboratory staff to fill biospecimen requests in a timely fashion.
- Work with other members of the BRCF staff, including data management and research coordinators to evaluate sample requests within iLabs.
- Work with BRCF leadership regarding developing methods and processes to improve the efficiency of the workflow.
- Work with BRCF leadership to support the writing of the CCSG core grants as well as other grants and contracts to help fund the repository. Help gather data and write annual progress reports.
- Applicants must have substantial hands on laboratory experience, a track record of accomplishment in translational research, and demonstrable leadership and communication skills.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience after obtaining the PhD or MD degree.
- Strong problem-solving skills and interest in troubleshooting.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written.
- Works efficiently and quickly but with attention to detail.
- Strong teamwork, interpersonal skills and strong work ethic.
- Must be able to comply with HIPAA guidelines and research regulations.
- Experience in interfacing with electronic medical records systems and other sources of phenotype data.
- Experience in translational research using human specimens is preferred.
KU Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.
To apply, please go to: https://jobs.kumc.edu/ and reference position number: 01202485.