University of Miami has an exciting opportunity for a Research Nurse Manager for the Clinical Trials Office (CTO). The CTO Research Nurse Manager will provide leadership and mentor the CTO Research Nurse team and perform Research Nurse duties. The responsibilities include, but are not limited to, providing daily oversight to identify/assist in problem solving clinic and team issues, assist in recruiting and training the CTO research nurses, assigning responsibilities, and educating Clinical Research Services team and multidisciplinary team members regarding the role and functioning of the CTO Research Nurse.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Lead the Research Nurse team as a primary resource and role model.
- Assist in the recruitment, training and mentoring of the Research Nurse team members.
- Provide daily oversight and identify/assist in problem solving clinic and team issues.
- Provide input in monitoring Research Nurse workload and performance.
- Assist in education of CTO and multidisciplinary team members regarding the role and functioning of the Research Nurse.
- Provide clinical trial support in the hospital and clinic setting to ensure patients are offered appropriate clinical trials following Good Clinical Practice standards.
- Assess and document the patient’s compliance and response to protocol treatment.
- Screen patients/patient records to identify potential trial candidates and notify the treating physician and Clinical Trials support staff.
- Provide Clinical Trial support staff with the documentation needed to determine eligibility and maintain compliance.
- Provide conduit between physicians, allied health professionals, nursing staff and clinical trial patients regarding trial related issues to maintain a safe environment for the patient while maintaining compliance.
- Communicate with patients, families, staff, and peers to ensure that treatment plans and research related interventions and activities are understood, and revised as appropriate.
- Provide potential and registered clinical trial patients with contact information to ensure that patients and families have an avenue to direct questions about the clinical trial that they were offered.
- Provide a consistent and accessible resource for physicians and clinical staff regarding clinical trials.
- Demonstrate an understanding of, and a commitment to, customer service values of respect, courtesy, ownership, privacy, professionalism, and responsiveness.
- Initiate and maintain open communication with other members of the team to assure that the patient and family receive the full scope of interdisciplinary expertise and services along with care provided by participation in a clinical trial. Maintain a safe working environment through compliance with established policies and procedures and timely reporting of safety variances. Participate in the development of general goals of the CTO. Adhere to all UM/SCCC and CTO policies and procedures.
Comprehensive understanding of Good Clinical Practice guidelines, Code of Federal Regulations, clinical trials monitoring and regulatory compliance. The ability to take initiative and provide research faculty and staff with quality support and a high degree of accuracy. Demonstrates creativity, innovation, flexibility and willing to accept challenges. Demonstrates a willingness to devote whatever effort is necessary to achieve team success. Exceptional interpersonal skills are required and excellent verbal and written English communication skills are necessary to deal effectively with individuals both inside and outside the organization from diverse backgrounds. Ability to manage multiple priorities, organize, and prioritize work to meet deadlines. Demonstrates commitment to department & institutional goals.
Minimum Qualifications (Essential Requirements):
Bachelor’s degree of Nursing required. Master degree preferred. Graduation from an accredited school of nursing, with Florida licensure to practice as a registered nurse. Basic Life Support (BLS). Minimum of three (3) years relevant experience. Certified Clinical Research Professional (CCRP) or Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP) required or willingness to take certification within 6 months acceptable. Oncology Certification in Nursing (OCN) preferred; willingness to undertake certification acceptable. Experience (minimum 3-5 years) in cancer clinical trials at a research institution and/or pharmaceutical company required. Thorough understanding of Good Clinical Practice guidelines, Code of Federal Regulations, clinical trials monitoring, regulatory compliance. Strong qualitative skills and knowledge of study design.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the groundbreaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University of Miami School of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.