Karmanos Cancer Institute, headquartered in Detroit, understands that beating cancer means bringing together the best. Cancer is a complex disease that demands complex care. With 15 locations throughout Michigan and proudly a part of McLaren Health Care, Karmanos is the largest provider of cancer care and research in the state. Cancer patients have increased access to advanced cancer care in communities throughout the state. This provides an extra level of comfort and peace of mind to patients and their families, knowing they can receive the best care locally.
Clinical Research RN Job Summary:
The Research Nurse is a member of the Clinical Trials Office and assists the clinical staff in the recruitment, compliance and follow-up of patients that are eligible for, or registered to a clinical trial by managing the research portion of the patient care activities through application of independent judgment, communication and collaboration with the research patient, patient’s family, ancillary/support services, the physician and the Clinical Trials Office.
1. Incorporates the KCI and CTO mission, vision, values and code of Business Conduct into planning patient care and clinical trials activities.
2. Provides clinical trial support in the Hospital and clinic setting to ensure KCI patients are offered appropriate clinical trials following Good Clinical Practice standards.
3. Assesses and documents the patient’s compliance and response to protocol treatment.
4. Screens patients/patient records to identify potential trial candidates and notify the treating physician and Clinical Trials support staff.
5. Provides Clinical Trial support staff with the documentation needed to determine eligibility and maintain compliance.
6. Provides conduit between physicians, allied health professionals, nursing staff and clinical trial patients regarding trial related issues to maintain a safe environment for the patient while maintaining compliance.
7. Communicates with patients, families, staff and peers to ensure that treatment plans and research related interventions and activities are understood, and revised as appropriate.
8. Provides potential and registered clinical trial patients with contact information to ensure that patients and families have an avenue to direct questions about the clinical trial that they were offered.
9. Provides a consistent and accessible resource for physicians and clinical staff regarding clinical trials.
10. Demonstrates an understanding of and a commitment to customer service values of respect, courtesy, ownership, privacy, professionalism and responsiveness. Initiates and maintains open communication with other members of the team to assure that the patient and family receive the full scope of interdisciplinary expertise and services along with care provided by participation in a clinical trial.
11. Completes mandatory education and training that includes review of age-specific needs and other competencies required by KCC.
12. Maintains a safe working environment through compliance with established policies and procedures and timely reporting of safety variances.
1. Graduation from an accredited school of nursing, with Michigan licensure to practice as a registered nurse. BSN preferred.
2. One to two years of nursing experience required with related research experience in designated area of work preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Please apply at https://mclarenhlth.taleo.net/careersection/mclaren_external_career_section/jobdetail.ftl?job=21000949&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York