Executive Director of Development
Virginia Commonwealth University’s Massey Cancer Center (Massey) seeks a strategic, collaborative and experienced development professional to serve as executive director of development. Under the visionary leadership of Director Robert A. Winn, MD, Massey is a model of public-private partnership in Virginia.
Reporting jointly to Dr. Winn and Assistant Vice President for Development for Medical Philanthropy, and building on the success of a strong program of philanthropy and a generous and engaged volunteer and donor base, the executive director will lead Massey fundraising programs responsible for raising $15-$20 Million annually in philanthropic support. Chief among the executive director’s ongoing responsibilities is to ensure the success and continued growth of Massey’s fundraising efforts, with responsibility for devising strategies to advance a developing grateful patient fundraising program in collaboration with the VCU Health System and the School of Medicine, and to inspire a talented and accomplished team to greater levels of achievement.
In this role you will:
- Provide long-range strategic planning and oversight of a comprehensive, major and principal gift fundraising strategy that aligns with VCU Health, Massey Cancer Center and university campaign objectives
- Work closely with Cancer Center and Health System leadership to craft campaign vision and identify philanthropic opportunities that enhance Massey mission and goals
- Develop and manage Cancer fundraising team through effective recruitment, motivation, mentorship, and staff development
- Supervise, coach and mentor a team of major, annual and corporate gift officers assigned to Massey Cancer Center
- Collaborate with academic and clinical leaders to expand Massey’s grateful patient programming and caregiver referrals leading to philanthropic gifts
- Assist in the strategy and implementation of all operational components of VCU’s grateful patient program
- Maintain relationships and knowledge sharing between the office of development and clinical and academic leaders at Massey Cancer Center as well as campus partners in DAR and MCVF to strengthen and expand the grateful patient fundraising program
- Cultivate, encourage and personally solicit principal, major and annual gifts from grateful patients, donors and friends of Massey Cancer Center
- Serve as a development liaison, alongside the Director of Board Relations, for the Massey Cancer Center philanthropic board
- Serve as a development liaison and subject matter expert for the Massey Cancer Center
- Work closely with Massey faculty and administrators within the center, the health system and the university to promote the coordination of prospect activity and the acquisition of major gifts
- Collaborate with the Medical Philanthropy Strategic Engagement team for development communications, stewardship, signature events, pipeline development and board relations For more information & to apply to this position, please visit https://vcu.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/1720?c=vcu