STONY BROOK MEDICINE
Suffolk County, Long island NY
Research Nurse - Clinical Research Associate
Posting- 2101205 To apply, CLICK HERE
Brief Description of Duties:
The Research Nurse for the Cancer Center is responsible for the Protocol Management reviews for active CAR-T protocols, including the determination of patient eligibility for protocol participation by way of chart review, data collection and patient evaluation/assessment identification. In addition, the research Nurse is responsible for reporting all adverse drug reactions to the FDA, NCI, Oncology cooperative groups, IRB and sponsoring drug companies. Lastly, he/she will conduct patient and staff education on the research process and investigational cancer drugs and CAR-T therapy.
The Research Nurse duties include:
• Protocol management-reviews all active protocols. Submits protocols, amendments, notices and terminations to the Institutional Review Board (IRB) for review and approval. Revises protocol consent forms to comply with Federal and State and IRB guidelines. Responsible for reporting all adverse drug reactions to the Federal Drug Administration (FDA), National Cancer Institute (NCI), Oncology Cooperative Groups, Institutional Review Board (IRB) or sponsoring drug companies. Responsible for NCI and drug company audits. Acts as a resource person between SUNY Oncology Divisions outside community attendings, cooperative groups and drug companies for protocol monitoring and information. Coordinates and conducts on-site audits or affiliates. Participates and organizes the initiation of studies.
• Chart reviews and data collection. Determines patient eligibility for protocol participation by way of review of patient’s medical records. Responsible for data collection for study analysis. Ensures that treatments, evaluations and dosing modifications are administered per protocol.
• Patient Evaluation/Assessment-Identification of protocol candidates is a major function. Attends Tumor Board conferences, participates in hospital rounds and staff meetings. Reviews surgical and pathology reports of cancer patients for protocol patients.
• Reviews present protocol patients on therapy to assure toxicity and response to treatment. Follows and maintains records on protocol patients for the duration of the study.
• Patient/Staff Education. Educates patients and families, as well as oncology staff on the research process and investigational drugs.
• As needed, will perform phlebotomy, EKG's and process blood and/or urine specimens.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications (as evidenced by an attached resume): Degree in Nursing from an accredited school (foreign equivalent or higher). NYS RN License.
One (1) year of full-time oncology experience and/or research experience. Microsoft and/or Google Apps experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Nursing experience in a clinical setting. Oncology and chemotherapy experience. Research experience to include experience coordinating clinical trials. IRB research training. Experience in CAR-T.
Special Notes: The Research Foundation of SUNY is a private educational corporation. Employment is subject to the Research Foundation policies and procedures, sponsor guidelines and the availability of funding. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Minimum salary threshold must be met to maintain FLSA exemption. Evening and weekend work will be required at times.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.