JR64514 Associate Director Clinical Research - Medical Oncology (Open)
LINK TO JOB POSTING AND TO APPLY
Associate Director Clinical Research - Medical Oncology
Washington University Medical Campus in St. Louis, MO
40 – full-time
Under the joint direction of the Division of Oncology’s Director and Medical Director of Clinical Research, this position is responsible to provide leadership in the clinical research enterprise as an administrative agent of the Division of Oncology. Components of the leadership include strategic planning, operations, staffing, fiscal and managerial administration of the clinical research facilities/operations, and human resources support. This includes, but is not limited to, the supervision and development of professional and administrative staff for the clinical research programs in Oncology. This position reports directly to the Director and indirectly to the Medical Director and will work closely and collaboratively with Siteman Cancer Center, BJH Cancer Services to administer an integrated research and clinical oncology program at WUSM and Barnes-Jewish Hospital (BJH).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
· Responsible for oversight in establishing, developing, implementing and coordinating clinical research teams/programs; facilitates study start-up, budgeting/invoicing processes and grant-related space allocation and the charge-back mechanism; attends the weekly leadership meetings and facilitates the meeting; assists with the development, implementation and evaluation of policies and procedures for the Division of Oncology in the areas of clinical research facilities/operations, finances and human resources.
· In concert with the Director and other Associate Directors, oversees the clinical research reporting to the faculty/physician leadership and the Cancer Center to ensure integration of scientific priorities and allocation of resources within our programs.
· Provides oversight and supervision of all clinical research staff in the solid tumor or hematologic malignancy disease teams; direct supervision of various supervisors/managers with indirect supervision of over 100 team members.
· Forges, maintains, and sustains successful, productive relationships with partners within WUSM (Siteman Cancer Center, CCS, HRPO, Radiation Oncology, and Surgical Oncology, Gyn Oncology, etc.) and external partners (NIH, DoD, IQVIA, etc.).
· Prepares and presents periodic and special reports on clinical research related activities.
Finance and Administration Operations
· Oversees the operations of the clinical research components of the Division of Oncology, and collaborates with the various other basic/clinical/translational groups; oversees collection of all data essential for ongoing Oncology monitoring and reporting, including collection of data for grants, contracts, publications, collaborations, research development funds, shared resource use, and membership.
· Oversees the team of staff regarding clinical research programs, including responsibility for annual progress reports; provides strategic administrative support to clinical research faculty members in the Division and facilitates the submission of inter/intra-programmatic grant applications to further foster translational research outcomes; works closely with the Director to ensure the successful and compliant implementation of multi-project/multi-investigator research efforts.
· With the Director/Associate Directors, oversees the related electronic data systems, including the OnCore Clinical Trials Management System, which collects clinical study data, grant, publication, collaboration, research development, and shared resource information.
Finance and Strategic Plans
· Oversees all protocol development, data management services, and regulatory functions, audits preparation and quality assurance reviews, develops new tools to enhance work efficiency and effectiveness, facilitates accrual to high-priority research studies, and ensures institutional coordination for all studies.
· Serves as a key team partner in the production of a Center strategic plan and assists in the preparation of the annual budget for cores and research programs, including the 5-year WU/BJH SCC strategic plan, general fund allocation, endowments, gift accounts, alteration/renovation, start up and various PI accounts, recharges facilities within the Center, fellowships and contracts; plans, coordinates, and implements grant submissions, continuations and study proposals, including multiple subcontracts.
· Works to develop strategies for staff development and retention, as well as structuring or restructuring of positions as appropriate; oversees the development and implementation of the training and orientation programs for new staff.
· Master’s degree.
· Experience in academic research administration.
· Oncology experience.
· A successful track record of leadership in a complex matrix managed environment.
· Outstanding interpersonal and political skills with proven evidence of working effectively both internally and externally with a wide variety of constituents.
· Executive-level project, strategic planning expertise, academic medicine and advanced financial skills.
· A thorough understanding of the different components required in a clinical and research operation.
· Demonstrated experience pulling together a high-performing administrative and/or research team and developing the skills and ideas of staff and faculty.
· Strong familiarity with funding agencies and all aspects of academic grant management, including accurate reporting of data and compliance with requirements of government agencies, industry, and private donors.
· A significant interest in multi-disciplinary research, training, and clinical missions of Siteman Cancer Center at BJH and WUSM, with an authentic aspiration to support those missions through providing of a first-rate administrative and business services.
· Ability to work in a collaborative team environment - strengths-based problem solving approach
Bachelor’s degree with at least seven years of experience in financial management, grant development, clinical research, or strategic planning function with a minimum of five years of supervisory experience.
$86,700.00 - $152,600.00 / Annually
The salary range reflects base salaries paid for positions in a given job grade across the University. Individual rates within the range will be determined by factors including one's qualifications and performance, equity with others in the department, market rates for positions within the same grade and department budget.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. The screenings will include criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, an employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
Washington University in St. Louis is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to our employees. Benefits eligibility is subject to employment status, full-time equivalent (FTE) workload, and weekly standard hours. Please visit our website at https://hr.wustl.edu/benefits/ to view a summary of benefits.
Washington University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability status, protected veteran status, national or ethnic origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation. Women, minorities, protected veterans and the disabled are strongly encouraged to apply.
Washington University is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment – fostering respect for all and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. Individuals with a commitment to these values are encouraged to apply.
When you are ready to apply, creating an account only takes a minute. Your account creates a candidate home page which we will use to communicate with you and allows you to apply for jobs and view your application statuses. The first page of the application offers two “Quick Apply” options. Quick Apply allows you to either use a previous application or create a new application using a resume to populate the work experience and education sections of your job application. If using a resume to populate your application, check to ensure the application fields populated accurately. You may skip the “Quick Apply” page by clicking “Next” at the bottom of the page. Documents may be uploaded in the My Experience section of the application. You also have the option to apply with a Linkedin feature, which allows you to apply by using your Linkedin profile to populate some of the job application fields.