Since its inception nearly 10 years ago, AACI’s monthly newsletter, AACI Update, has enjoyed steady growth in readership, published news items, and the number of cancer centers submitting stories. More than 900 AACI members, policy makers and other interested readers now receive AACI Update by email—a 200 percent increase since 2004. It is also posted on AACI’s website.
Many thanks to everyone who has made the publication such a success, especially to the communications professionals who consistently provide AACI with compelling news and top-notch copy.
Understandably, an expanding enterprise requires occasional reevaluation to guarantee the continued delivery of a high-quality product. The need for such a review has become particularly acute as the large volume of submissions, combined with space constraints built into our email distribution software, have required AACI to restrict the number of stories in recent AACI Updates.
To keep AACI Update at a manageable size, as well as to smooth its production cycle and ensure its continued broad appeal, AACI has developed the following submission guidelines:
1) Up to two (2) stories per month per center will be published in the emailed version of the Update. AACI Update stories are organized into two broad categories—“Headlines”, reserved for major stories such as center director appointments, high-impact legislative news and signature AACI activities, and “News from the Centers”. Stories for “News from the Centers” cover four broad categories: Awards & Honors; Grants & Gifts; Leadership Transitions; and, Research Highlights.
2) Do not submit stories that are primarily local or regional in focus. While “News from the Centers” currently includes a fifth category —Other News—to accommodate stories that do not fit into the four primary groupings listed above, AACI Update is aimed at a national readership. Consequently, certain types of news are not appropriate for the newsletter. For example:
• Most fundraisers and other promotional events like book signings and foot races;
• Personnel matters exclusive of center leadership; and,
• Miscellaneous cancer center business such as new equipment purchases.
3) Include a link to the online version of your submissions.
4) Email stories only to firstname.lastname@example.org
5) Deadline for submissions is three business days before the first of the month (AACI Update is not published in January and August). Stories submitted later than three business days before the first of the month—the target date for distribution of the Update--will be considered for publication in the following issue (e.g., a story submitted on March 29 for the April Update will be considered for publication in the May Update).
As always, publication and placement of stories and images in AACI Update is at AACI’s discretion. Thank you very much for your understanding and continued support of AACI Update. We hope it continues to be a useful tool for sharing your center’s good work with the entire cancer research community. We also encourage you to contact AACI Communications Director Chris Zurawsky with any questions or to discuss the submission guidelines..